The Sons of the Revolution was founded in 1876 by members of the Society of the Cincinnati wishing to broaden participation in preserving the American Heritage on the eve of this country’s centennial. Its mission is to promote knowledge and appreciation of the achievement of American independence and to foster fellowship among its members.
The Sons of the Revolution in the District of Columbia, was chartered by the New York Society on March 11, 1889, held its initial meeting at the home of
Lieutenant Commander Theodorus Bailey Myers Mason at 1606 20th Street, N.W. on December 3, 1889, and was incorporated in the District of Columbia on December 18,1889.
The Society of the “Sons of the Revolution in the District of Columbia” has been instituted to perpetuate the memory of the men who, in military, naval or civil service, by their acts or counsel, achieved American Independence: to promote and assist in the proper commemoration of the anniversaries of Washington’s birthday and Day of Death, the Battle of Lexington, the Fourth of July, the Capitulation of Yorktown, and other prominent events relating to or connected with the War of the Revolution; to collect and secure for preservation the manuscript rolls, records, and other documents and memorials relating to that War; to inspire among the members and their descendants the patriotic spirit of their forefathers; to inculcate in the community in general sentiments of nationality and respect for the principles for which the patriots of the Revolution contended; to assist in the commemorative celebration of other great historical events of National importance, and to promote social intercourse and the feeling of fellowship among its members.